Brain Injury Waikato is a charitable organisation that provides advocacy, support and information to people who have sustained a brain injury, their families/whanau and carers throughout Waikato.
Brain Injury Waikato’s goal is to increase the awareness and prevention of brain injury throughout Waikato. To achieve this goal, we will be forming relationships with other community groups, schools, sports groups, NZ Police and businesses, ensuring people are aware of the impact a brain injury has on the injured person’s life, their family, friends, workplace and the general community.
Brain Injury Waikato has two full time staff members and a number of volunteers.
BRAIN INJURY WAIKATO PROVIDES THE FOLLOWING:
- Advocacy on behalf of clients with ACC, Work and Income, Housing NZ, Probation, Correction Services, medical consultations and assessments, court and other social services;
- On-going client and family support;
- Provision of relevant information including quarterly newsletters;
- Awareness and prevention through regular expos, displays, events and presentations;
- Support group meetings;
- ‘Living with a Brain Injury’ seminars;
- Brain Injury Awareness month;
- Community Educational Sessions in collaboration with Healthcare Rehabilitation Ltd;
- Workshops for clients, families and carers;
BRAIN INJURY WAIKATO STAFF MEMBERS
On 1 December 2016 the organisation name was changed to Brain Injury Waikato Incorporated. Previously known as Head Injury Society Waikato Inc T/A THINK! The Head Injury Society Waikato Inc was established in the Waikato in 1987.